Friday, September 07, 2007

September 1, 2007: Organic Wholefoods

Next to Soulfood Cafe is Organic Wholefoods, the kind of supermarket that causes me to impulse buy $50 worth of food I didn't know I needed. Ahem. I was particularly excited to find a few vegan items that I haven't encountered before, mayonnaise and savoury yeast flakes. For the uninitiated, savoury yeast flakes (or nutritional yeast) are used in vegan cooking to impart a cheesy flavour. I'd been warned that they can be an acquired taste but an small nibble confirmed that I'd enjoy experimenting with these (watch this space for a fantastic vegan recipe in the next few days!). Also in the shopping bag were a jar of cashew butter (for this recipe), a cute bottle of Elgaar Farm cream, some organic maple syrup, seitan, free-range eggs and organic butter.

Organic Wholefoods had lots of grains and natural remedies in bulk as well as these tempting groceries. I'll return for more novel and inspiring ingredients, and no doubt find time for a treat at Soulfood while I'm in the area.

10 comments:

  1. That cream. Cindy, Elgaar Farm make the best creams. If you ever get the chance to try their mascarpone. Marvelous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I will, Lucy! I haven't noticed the mascarpone anywhere before but will search it out especially next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, you can make your own marscapone with the cream... 350ml of the cream heated to lukewarm, 32C or 90F. Pour into a bowl stir in 3 tbsp buttermilk, cover and set aside to stand for 24-48 hours or until a soft curd forms. Dip a piece of muslin in cold water, wring dry, line it into a coander, pour in curd and drain for 10 mins. Cover with muslin and clingform and refridgerate for 36-48 hours... reading this back and figuring you need days to make it happen, suddenly does not seem like the great idea I thought I had a moment ago... anyway if you EVER decided to you could make it... Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vida, and thanks for that info! It all makes sense now that I've read your instructions but I would never have thought to make my own mascarpone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cindy I just wanted to thank-you from the bottom of my heart for your donation to JDRF for the Walk to Cure Diabetes. You are a gem - thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome, Tara! I'm happy to help in this small way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure I have put you off since the process is so lengthy but I just thought it would be good to know how for future reference in case you ever had a few days spare and did not now what to do with your time... just a thought... V

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nutritional yeast is great on popcorn with cajun or other spices.I also love it on toast with margarine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kristy, I will keep those ideas in mind! I actually have some organic pop-it-yourself corn in the cupboard so I'll try that soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete