Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Thyme sugar syrup

January 27, 2014


Thyme is usually sold in bigger bunches than recipes need, and I've found that thyme sugar syrup is an easy way to use up the leftovers. I must've come up with this idea after drinking thyme cocktails at Cafe Vue, then googled around to confirm that I needed nothing more than thyme, sugar and water.


I tend to use a lot more thyme than other online recipes recommend and then use my syrup sparingly - just a centimetre in the bottom of a glass, twice as much orange juice, topped up with ice cubes and soda water. Some day soon I'll try a boozy version with vodka, gin or Cointreau. I wonder what the syrup would be like on fruit salad, or waffles?



Thyme sugar syrup
(adapted from a recipe at imbibe)

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
20 sprigs thyme

Place all the ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer them over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to continue infusing as it cools to room temperature. Strain out the thyme sprigs and store the syrup in an airtight jar in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of such a thing! Sounds like exactly what I feel like in this warm weather. I'm planning to set up a new herb garden (as I'm so crap at vegies), so I'll have to make sure I include some time, because I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lentil Institution - we're just staring up our own herb garden! It's basil, parsley, rosemary, tarragon and some very-unhealthy-looking coriander right now. I should think about including some thyme too.

      Delete