Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ricotta-stuffed figs with orange syrup

April 1, 2013


With ricotta already purchased and figs well into their brief season, I launched into April's calendar recipe on the first day of the month. This is the kind of recipe I need just once, to prove what's possible, and thenceforth I (and you!) can just go for it - adding a little something to ricotta, slathering it over fig halves, pouring over a syrup and popping it all under the grill for a few minutes. Easy.

So here it's vanilla and orange zest into the ricotta, and a syrup based on orange juice. It's easy to imagine a pinch of cinnamon or ginger or lemon or lime zest, maple syrup, herb-infused syrup, any number of fruit juices. And why stop at figs? How about ripe peach or apricot halves, a pre-poached pear perhaps.

The original recipe would have us serve these with cream, but with the right ricotta I don't think there's any need.


Ricotta-stuffed figs with orange syrup
(available online here)

200mL orange juice
50g castor sugar
30mL Cointreau
150g ricotta
zest of one orange
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 fresh figs

In a small saucepan, stir together the orange juice, sugar and Cointreau over low-medium heat. Allow them to simmer until reduced by half - this took me about 10 minutes once I got the temperature right.

In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta, orange zest and vanilla.

Slice the figs in half and smear them with the ricotta, placing each one ricotta-side-up in a baking dish. Drizzle them with the orange syrup. Place them under a hot grill until the ricotta starts to brown, 2-5 minutes, and serve.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great combination. I'm loving all the fig recipes I've been seeing around the net this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi leaf! Me too - so many great looking pies in particular. This was a little easier though. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a taunting recipe! Figs, which I love and adore and yearn for and dream of! Orange and cointreau, which make me need a bucket!

    It is a dilemma. Thank heavens for the ability to take this recipe and make it non-devilfruity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hannah, I'm sure a little maple syrup wouldn't go astray. Or a light but berry-ish juice?

      Delete
  3. I think I just died an landed on that plate of ricotta figs... Time to go over to the neighbours' back fence for a fig picking session I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy. It's mercifully simple too. :-)

      Delete