Monday, March 11, 2013

Vietnamese coffee ice cream

March 2, 2013


One of our favourite companions to a Vietnamese meal is Vietnamese-style iced coffee. So after we'd picked out bánh xèo I swapped Plenty for David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop, which I knew contained a recipe for Vietnamese coffee ice cream.

I didn't end up following Lebovitz's recipe too closely - if you track it down you'll see that I omitted the pinch of ground coffee and the awfully American half-and-half. And since I had the supplies on hand, I went vegan with soy condensed milk instead of using the usual dairy stuff.

This ice cream has the signature bittersweetness of the drink and ended up with some of the iciness too - unfortunately I couldn't coax it to whip up properly in my icecream maker. It was quite scoopable and very edible regardless.



Vietnamese coffee ice cream
(inspired by a recipe in David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop)

250mL/330g can (soy) sweetened condensed milk
200mL espresso

Whisk together the ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate them until thoroughly chilled, then churn in an icecream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

7 comments:

  1. This looks great for the endless summer we're going through right now in Melbourne! I've never tried soy condensed milk. Must go have a look for some (is it as good straight out of the can as the dairy version?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - yes! This was a conscious effort to try and enjoy the heat wave. :-)

      Soy condensed milk is just as tempting right out of the can. The flavour is subtly different but not too soy-ish.

      Delete
  2. Endless Summer Lisa? Barely Spring here.... Longing for the heat to that I can make some of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold tight, Holiday Baker Man! I'm sure your turn will come. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yum! I've always been partial to coffee Asian-style as that's what I grew up with... the ice cream version would be so lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, leaf - I'm not a regular coffee drinker but very fond of the Asian condensed-milk versions. :-)

      Delete
  4. Note to self - my most recent replication was the best yet. It whipped up properly in the icecream maker, and just before it was done I sprinkled in some extra coffee grounds.

    ReplyDelete