Monday, August 15, 2011

August 14, 2011: Mixed Business III

Update 04/01/2023: Mixed Business is now permanently closed.

Without much forethought we managed to make the most of Sunday morning's mild weather, slowly riding the scenic route to Mixed Business for a late breakfast with Mike and Jo. We weren't surprised that it was busy; we put our names down and accepted a table outside when it was offered up a quarter-hour later. Though we and the waitress all assumed inside would be superior, we were blessed with lots of sun and no smokers in the vicinity.

The menu has changed a little since we last documented a meal here but it follows the same themes - lots of interesting savoury things on toast, a couple of sweeties, a goodly proportion of vegetarian options but not much that's vegan.

Coffees arrived promptly but food took a lot longer; the former had folks a lot more forgiving of the latter! Michael was very pleased with the free range poached eggs on sourdough with paprika and capsicum red beans, lemon and manchego ($14), though mushing it all together while keeping it on the plate was a challenge.

Once I read 'gingerbread waffles' ($14.50), I could look no further. They had a great crispy-yet-not-tough texture but were a little short on the spice for me. The gorgeous maple syrup baked apple slices were all I needed as topping... the vanilla bean icecream and candied walnuts were complementary but over-the-top by my breakfast criteria.

Even though we were tucked out the back at a busy hour, service was prompt and friendly throughout. Mixed Business carries its busy-ness well.
____________

You can read about a couple of our previous visits to Mixed Business here and here. Since last time it's received positive mentions on "...it pleases us", Melbourne Gastronome, The World According to Wooly, MEL: HOT OR NOT, imakecake eats Melbourne, finicalgal (though she waited a long time to eat), Jentopia and Gastroeconomy.
____________

Mixed Business
486 Queens Parade, Clifton Hill
9486 1606
veg breakfasts $5.50-$14

Accessibility: Tables out front are roomy and under cover. The entrance, although flat, has a door that's a bit of a hassle to open (still, people seem to get prams in there!). Tables inside and out back are a bit crowded, though there's a wide path through the middle. There's full table service; we didn't visit the toilets.

3 comments:

  1. I may have to stop reading your blog after this. My family and I just left Melbourne to live back in Perth, Mixed Business was a favourite late breakfast place, with their great coffee and eggs/toast/+somthing combos. The massive amount of quality breakfast venues is what I'll miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gingerbread waffles sound great! I'm going to try these at home any make sure I amp up the spice. I haven't been to MB for a little while, but I had a very good sandwich there last time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nudbot, I don't think I've been anywhere that does weekend breakfasts like inner north Melbourne! I hope we might see you back here to discuss home cooking, at least. :-) All the best for your new home in Perth.

    lexi - I think home-made waffles are indeed the answer!

    ReplyDelete