Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 15, 2009: Pandan 'chicken'

Kristy has been blogging and telling anyone who will listen about the vegan pandan 'chicken' she discovered at a local supermarket a few months ago. So, when I noticed them at my own nearby supermarket I was compelled to pick up a packet, even though my freezer was already bursting with mock meats.

I'm glad I did. These Veaty Bites take very little time to bake from their frozen state, and they taste delicious. Having never sampled the real deal, I've no idea whether they're a convincing imitation. But these mock meat parcels are incredibly fragrant, with a sharp lemongrassy earthiness and heating burst of chilli. They'd make a fun little finger food at a party, though I used them to top a salad. It was a whatever's-in-the-fridge mix of baby spinach leaves, grated zucchini and corn kernels, dressed with chives, ginger oil, vegetarian oyster sauce and apple cider vinegar.

4 comments:

  1. The Minh Phat used to stock these and then stopped! Sob! They are bloody delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find them again, Hannah! They seem to be lurking in a few groceries around the place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stuff is amazing, I love all the veaty range. You can get them in the asian grocer at Barkly Square in Brunswick. The thai fish cake ones are also fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, Natalie. :-)

    I think Kristy also bought them from Barkly Square.

    ReplyDelete